What is the correct reference format for a book?
References to books should include the following:
- The author(s), or editor(s) – by surname and initial(s)
- The title (in italics or bold)
- The edition other than the first (if applicable)
- The publisher’s name.
- Year of publication.
- Edited publications.
How do you organize references?
Order: Entries should be arranged in alphabetical order by authors’ last names. Sources without authors are arranged alphabetically by title within the same list. The references are arranged alphabetically, by the last name of the first author or, if author is not available – by title.
How do you in-text cite a study?
When using APA format, follow the author-date method of in-text citation. This means that the author’s last name and the year of publication for the source should appear in the text, for example, (Jones, 1998), and a complete reference should appear in the reference list at the end of the paper.
How do you reference a table Harvard?
Caption – give your Table a number (in italics) and a title to describe it. You should have a sentence just below or above the table, explaining why it is there. This should mention the table number, but, as you have created it yourself, do not give it an in-text citation.
How do I arrange my references in alphabetical order?
Sort a list alphabetically in Word
- Select the list you want to sort.
- Go to Home > Sort.
- Set Sort by to Paragraphs and Text.
- Choose Ascending (A to Z) or Descending (Z to A).
- Select OK.
What is the correct order of these references in a reference list?
Arranging the Order of References Simply alphabetize the entries letter by letter. More specifically, reference list entries are arranged using the author’s last name first, then their first name initials. Often you will find the names of the same researchers and writers, as they specialize in specific fields.
How do I align references in EndNote?
In Word 2010, go to Home tab and use the pull down for Styles > Click on ‘EndNote Bibliography’ and then click on the drop down arrow . Choose Modify. 2. Under Formatting, choose the required alignment and click OK.
How do you put references in chronological order?
Arrange the references in chronological order by date of publication eg. 1996, 2006, starting with the earliest date. Use a lower-case letter after the publication date, eg. 2017a, 2017b, to differentiate between works written in the same year by the same author, and list them alphabetically by title.
How do you reference a dissertation interview?
Citing an Interview As a personal interview is not published or “findable,” it should not be included in an APA reference list. Instead, a personal interview should be referenced as a parenthetical citation. For example: (J. Smith, personal communication, May 17, 2008).
How do you reference survey results?
When you cite a survey or questionnaire in your paper, put down the name of the person conducting the survey with the last name first, the first name last, followed by the name of the survey in quotation marks.
What is the correct spacing between lines of a reference list?
Now your list should have all hanging indents, single spacing within references, and a double space between each reference per AU Thesis and Dissertation Guidelines. Remember that if you begin adding new references, just hit the ENTER key one time after each reference entry.
How do you do headings in APA 6th edition?
- Centered, Boldface, Uppercase and Lowercase Heading.
- Left-aligned, Boldface, Uppercase and Lowercase Heading.
- Indented five spaces, boldface, lowercase heading with a period. Begin the text of your first sentence after the period. Indented, boldface, italicized, lowercase heading with a period.
How do you Harvard reference a video interview?
To be made up of:
- Name of person posting video.
- Year video posted (in round brackets).
- Title of film or programme (in italics).
- Available at: URL.
- (Accessed: date).
What should you include in a reference?
A detailed reference (or character reference) can include:
- answers to questions from the employer requesting the reference.
- details about your skills, ability and experience.
- details about your character, strengths and weaknesses relating to your suitability for the new role.
- how often you were off work.
How do you list references on a paper?
The references are to be alphabetized by the fist author’s last name, or (if no author is listed) the organization or title. If you cite more than one paper by the same first author, sort them by year of publication, earliest year first. Do not use footnotes for citations.
How do I Harvard reference an interview?
- Name of person interviewed.
- Year of interview (in round brackets).
- Title of the interview (if any) (in single quotation marks).
- Interview with/interviewed by.
- Interviewer’s name.
- Title of publication or broadcast (in italics).
- Day and month of interview, page numbers (if relevant).
How do you reference a study?
The basics of a Reference List entry for an case study:
- Author or authors. The surname is followed by first initials.
- Year of publication.
- Case study title, in italics.
- Date viewed.
- URL .
How do I order Harvard reference list?
A reference list is arranged alphabetically by author. If an item has no author, it is cited by title, and included in the alphabetical list using the first significant word of the title. A reference list is generally placed at the end of a work. Commas are used to separate each item of the reference/citation.
Can I still use APA 6th edition?
The 7th edition APA Manual, published in October 2019, is the most current edition. However, the 6th edition, published in 2009, is still used by many universities and journals.
What is the correct line spacing?
For most text, the optimal line spacing is between 120% and 145% of the point size. Most word processors, as well as CSS, let you define line spacing as a multiple. Or you can do the math—multiply your point size by the percentage. (The text in this paragraph has line spacing of 170%.
How do you Harvard reference a survey?
- Author or organisation.
- Year of publication (in round brackets).
- Title of report (in italics).
- Place of publication: publisher.
How do you Harvard reference a dissertation?
Thesis or Dissertation
- Year of submission (in round brackets).
- Title of thesis (in italics).
- Degree statement.
- Degree-awarding body.
Does APA 6th edition require a running head?
APA recommends using 12 pt. Times New Roman font. Include a page header (also known as the “running head”) at the top of every page.
How do you reference examples?
APA in-text citation style uses the author’s last name and the year of publication, for example: (Field, 2005). For direct quotations, include the page number as well, for example: (Field, 2005, p. 14).
How do you write a reference example?
- Author/Editor (if it is an editor always put (ed.)
- Title (this should be in italics)
- Series title and number (if part of a series)
- Edition (if not the first edition)
- Place of publication (if there is more than one place listed, use the first named)
- Year of publication.
How do you write a reference in a report?
To cite a report in a reference entry, include the author, year, title of the report, the report number (if there is one), and the publisher. In-text citations would follow the typical format of including the author (or authoring organization) and year of publication.
How do you cite interviews?
To cite an interview that you conducted yourself, start the Works Cited entry with the name of the interviewee. Then simply describe it with the word Interview, followed by your own name and the date on which the interview took place.