What does the XO mean on cognac?
The VSOP category includes designations such as “Old” or “Reserve”. XO stands for “Extra Old”: XO cognacs are made only from eaux-de-vie at least six years old. Cognacs such as “Napoleon” or “Old Reserve” are equivalent to XO cognac.
Is XO a good cognac?
We’ve always liked this XO by De Luze. A Cognac that’s about 20 years old, and a typically mature Fine Champagne Cognac. This blend of Grande Champagne and Petite Champagne makes up a great Cognac with dark fruit and spices, and delicious first hints of rancio. And by the way, the bottle is really great too.
What is the difference between XO and VS cognac?
The designations you see on Cognac labels—VS (Very Special), VSOP (Very Superior Old Pale) and XO (Extra Old)—are a guarantee of how long a Cognac has been aged. VS indicates that the Cognac has been aged at least two years, VSOP at least four years and XO (Extra Old) at least six years.
Is XO brandy a cognac?
VSOP means Very Superior Old Pale, for a cognac that has aged for four or more years. And XO means Extra Old, for a cognac that has aged six or more years. Whew! So, main takeaway here—cognac is a type of brandy made in a very specific region of France with very specific grapes and very specific qualifications.
How do you drink XO Cognac?
As an aperitif, cognac is usually consumed neat. Adding a drop of water will reveal more fruity, floral, and spicy aromas, making the tasting experience smoother.
How old is Hennessy XO Extra Old cognac?
Previously, XO (shorthand for “extra old” – a label first coined by the Hennessy family) could include cognacs aged at least six years old – or more accurately six and half years from harvest, since there is half a year from the first autumn grape pressing to April 1, which is when most distillation is complete and the …
What does the XO stand for?
Hugs and kisses, abbreviated in North America as XO or XOXO, is an informal term used for expressing sincerity, faith, love, or good friendship at the end of a written letter, email or text message. In the United Kingdom, the phrase ‘hugs and kisses’ is widely used but XO or XOXO are not (though X, XX etc.
What is the best cognac in the world?
Here are six of the best Cognacs from the recent IWSC tasting:
- Tres Vieille Grande Champagne Cognac. Maison Prunier.
- Jean Doussoux Single Cask N°89 Edition Limitée XO Cognac. Domaine du Chêne.
- Chanteloup Perspective XXO Cognac. Martell Cognac.
- Roland Bru Extra Cognac. Distillerie des Moisans.
- Rare VSOP Fine Champagne Cognac.
Which XO brandy is best?
Best XO Cognacs
- Bisquit & Dubouché XO.
- Château de Montifaud XO.
- Delamain Pale & Dry Centenaire XO.
- Frapin Château de Fontpinot XO.
- Hennessy XO.
- Hine Antique XO.
- Jean Fillioux Grande Réserve XO.
- Paul Giraud Vieille Réserve XO.
What’s the best cognac in the world?
8 of the Best Brands of Cognac to Drink
- Hennessy Black. Hennessy.
- Rémy Martin XO. Courtesy.
- Hine Antique XO Premier Cru Cognac. Courtesy.
- Ferrand 10 Générations Grande Champagne Cognac. $68 AT RESERVE BAR.
- Courvoisier XO Cognac. Courtesy.
- Bisquit & Dubouché Cognac VSOP. $70 AT RESERVE BAR.
- Martell XO.
- Louis XIII Cognac.